Wednesday, September 2, 2009

northbay face and body art guild

northbay face and body art guild online newsletter

I think all you Sonoma and Marin county artists will agree with me when I say its been a busy summer! Not only has my business been bouncing all over the county from Farmers Markets to carnivals and private parties but we've also been able to take a few classes with some of our fellow member.

Plus I believe several locals will be taking a quick run down to San Jose for the Living Canvas convention later this month...a couple of us are even going to southern California for the henna conference in Oct. Then things start all over again in February with the big convention in Las Vegas!

I think we'd all really appreciate if someone could write up a short review of any class they've taken or gone to. Go ahead and just email them in to me at:info@fairydustfaces.com and I'll post them

In the meanwhile let me just comment briefly on Pashur's worhshop held 8/27

Pashur and Jennifer, (his significant other) presented a few of Pashur's trademark tips in a small class setting located in Kryolan's demo room in San Francisco. Jennifer was the ever patient asistant letting Pashur paint whatever he wanted. As I arrived (late!) Jennifer was just washing off an asymetrical blue leopard eye mask and the class was getting down to practicing the 'C' shape leopard spot. A sunset framed by palm trees quickly followd that. Emphasis was placed on making the tree actually frame the scene in a graceful arch.

We continued with a 3 dimensional spider, mermaid scales (shading, shading, shading) and we learned how to 'write' dragon in Kanji my biggest take home tip was a easy-once-you-see-it-that-way Koi fish. Now I just need to wait until a sushi restaurant brings the FairyDust Faces team in to paint the waitstaff!

The workshop finished with a couple of games constructed to get us out of our comfort zone. My painting partner, the unflappable Lena took the challenge head on and did not shrink from the laundry list Pashur had us incorporate into the game. I seem to be a bit slower in thought processing so went second and did a passable job on my challenge, I even won an angle brush for my effort (based on speed, not execution!)

I'd like to add if you haven't been on the northbay guild site in a while make sure to check out Katie Hunt's review of Erika Harrison's book "How to Start a Face Painting and Body Art Business" And as always if you have a review of a book, periodical or product send it in!

No comments:

Post a Comment